Starting Jan. 17, 2017, USCIS is automatically extending certain expiring EADs for up to 180 days for applicants who:
- Properly filed for a renewal EAD before their current EAD expired, and
- Are otherwise eligible for a renewal, which means that:
- Your EAD renewal is under a category that is eligible for an automatic 180-day extension (see the list of categories below); and
- The Category on your current EAD matches the “Class Requested” listed on this Notice of Action. (Note: If you are a TPS beneficiary or pending applicant, your EAD and this Notice must contain either the A12 or C19 category, but the categories do not need to match each other).
We are doing so to help prevent gaps in employment authorization and documentation. This extension applies to Form I-765 renewal applications that are still pending on January 17, 2017, and to Form I-765 renewal applications filed on or after Jan. 17, 2017.
The following categories of EADs will be eligible for an automatic extension of up to 180 days:
The eligibility category you listed on your Form I-765 renewal application
|(a)(7)||N-8 or N-9|
|(a)(8)||Citizen of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, or Palau|
|(a)(10)||Withholding of Deportation or Removal Granted|
|(a)(12)||Temporary Protected Status (TPS) Granted|
|(c)(8)||Asylum Application Pending|
|(c)(9)||Pending Adjustment of Status under Section 245 of the Act|
|(c)(10)||Suspension of Deportation Applicants (filed before April 1, 1997)
Cancellation of Removal Applicants
Special Rule Cancellation of Removal Applicants Under NACARA
|(c)(16)||Creation of Record (Adjustment Based on Continuous Residence Since January 1, 1972)|
|(c)(19)||Pending initial application for TPS where USCIS determines applicant is prima facie eligible for TPS and can receive an EAD as a “temporary treatment benefit”.|
|(c)(20)||Section 210 Legalization (pending I-700)|
|(c)(22)||Section 245A Legalization (pending I-687)|
NOTE: TPS individuals may receive an automatic extension of their employment authorization:
- Through publication of a Federal Register notice extending the TPS designation of the individual’s country, provided that the Federal Register notice also authorizes an automatic extension of covered individuals’ existing EADs; and/or
- Through this 180-day automatic extension.